Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marr Rugby app


Marr Rugby 2nd XV match report - v Kilmarnock RFC (21 March 2015)

3 years ago By Kevin Quinn

Marr Rugby 2s match report

Kikmarnock 2nd XV vs Marr 2nd XV

On a beautiful spring day perfect for running rugby, Marr 2nd XV travelled to Bellsland for an Ayrshire derby with Kilmarnock.

The 2nd XV sitting strong at the top of the table knew that a bonus point win would send them one step closer to promotion. After the previous week’s 105 point victory over Irvine confidence was high.

Scott Grant took the kick off and set the tone for the day with a trademark barnstorming carry. Marr were immediately on the ascendency and Andrew Mill’s probing kicks were keeping Killie deep in their own 22. From one of these touchfinders Kris Kirk stole the resultant lineout and after several strong pick and go’s Blair Calderwood crashed home from short range, Gregor Ness, kicker for the day, converted all 5 tries.

Once again straight from the kick off Marr were on the front foot with Kirk, Siave and Farquhar all making strong carries. Struan Grant burst through the midfield but was tackled just short, only for big brother Scott to pick up and power over from a few yards out.

14-0 up with less than 10 minutes on the clock and Marr were possibly guilty of assuming this was going to be another 100 point rout. Credit to Killie who lifted their game and caused Marr all sorts of problems at the set piece and particularly the breakdown which resulted in the next 20 minutes of the half being a very error strewn stop start affair.

Unfortuantely around the 30 minute mark, a Kilmarnock player suffered a very serious lower leg/ankle injury. Half time was called early and an Ambulance arrived on the pitch within 15 minutes. All from Marr Rugby wish the player a speedy recovery.

The 2nd half kicked off and the Kilmarnock scrum half was yellow carded after a series of offside offences. A quick tap from Ness took play 60m up the field with Struan Grant again being hauled down just short of the line. Phil Siave was on hand to barrel over for Marr’s 3rd try.

Marr now looking for that all important 4th try continued to hammer the Kilmarnock gainline with strong running from Ali Walker and Lloyd Allam. After a kick to the corner Kris Kirk controlled Marr’s rolling maul which was unstoppable. Blair Calderwood looked to have got the touch down/

Gregor Stevenson was “shown the cheese” and given 10 minutes to cool off after repeated infringments. Killie stuck at it and scored a well deserved well worked try out after the ball going through several pairs of hands.

This jolted Marr into a final surge which saw a number of phases being worked around the fringes with the ball eventually being spun wide for winger Ryan Miller to score in the corner.

Final score Kilmarnock 7 – 35 Marr

Marr man of the match – Scott Grant

The result now leaves the 2nds with 3 games left with a 7 point advantage over GHK. 2 wins from the last 3 should be over to seal promotion to the national leagues of the reserve section.

Next week the 2s travel to Hughenden along with the 1s to take on Hills 2A.

Where next?

2ND Xv Team News 2 ND Xv to play GHA. 2 pm KO.


Loading comments

Sat 28 Oct
League 68 – 0
Sat 14 Oct
League 17 – 13
Sat 7 Oct
2nd XV Selkirk A
League 16 – 57

Team sponsors


Club sponsors