Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marr Rugby app


1st XV - Match centre

Marr RFC
R Dalgleish
C Sturgeon
Sat 2 Mar 15:00 - Club Championships - Tennent's National League Division 1 Full time

Dalgleish seals it in dramatic style


Brutal 80 minutes as both sides empty the tank

Match Report by Stephen Allam


The weather at Braidholm on Saturday was quite simply brutal for rugby.

Tennent's NL1 GHA RFC v Marr Rugby (2.3.19)
19 photos

With both teams extremely motivated to secure a win this match was the perfect recipe for the connoisseur. However it was never going to be a free flowing expansive game, more a battle of attrition with both big packs slugging it out.

GHA had the wind advantage in the first half, however it was Marr with the first chance of the game, after GHA was penalised for a high tackle, Colin Sturgeon just missed his penalty chance.

Five minutes later GHA utilised the wind well and created a chance, this was foiled by a try saving tackle by Marr full back Liam McLoughlin.

The opening score came after a powerful breakout from Defence by Marr’s big ball carrier Ross Miller. A penalty was awarded 30m out for GHA infringing at a ruck. Colin Sturgeon duly converted giving Marr a valuable 3 points lead.

With both teams’ defences in total control, it took a mistake to lead to the first try. GHA kicked a high ball through and the Marr full back failed to catch and the ball broke free allowing the on-rushing GHA winger to fly hack the ball from the half way line. The race for the line was won by GHA centre Charlie Lonergan who scored in the corner.

With five minutes left of the first half, Fraser Grant received a yellow card for a no arm tackle that was spotted by the assistant referee.

Half time was 5 points to 3. This would of pleased Marr as the wind advantage was significant.

The second half started well for GHA as their skilled handling and ball possession resulted in Marr having to dig deep in defence.

The most controversial moment happened seven minutes in to the second half when Marr lock Fraser Grant, who had just come back onto the field, was given his second yellow card. This was for a swinging arm tackle that was only spotted by the assistant referee.

Marr were now in trouble as they were down to 14 men.

The game now was mainly a mid-field battle with neither team willing to give ground. Marr was awarded a further two penalties, however they were never going to be easy kicks as the wind was now swirling more than ever.

Marr were becoming more and more desperate to find a way through the sturdy GHA defence but equally Marr thwarted every GHA attack with good line speed tackling. To be honest no team looked like scoring.

With one minute left on the clock the moment of magic for Marr happened. It came from Marr captain Conor Bickerstaff.

The ball was turned over 10 meters into the Marr half. Scrum half Finlay Hazel spun a great ball long to Conor who found a gap in the GHA defence. Conor used his speed and excellent step to sprint deep into the GHA 22 metre line. The ball was quickly recycled out the backs to find Richard Dalgleish in space to power over the line to give Marr the winning score.

To be honest no team deserved to lose this match and it was always going to be a very close affair. However it was Marr that triumphed in the end.

With Jed Forest also managing a tight win at Selkirk, this means Marr’s match against Gala on the 16th becomes even more vital for the Troon men. A huge crowd is expected on the touch line for this game.

Marr Rugby 1st XV man of the match - Mackenzie Pearce (sponsored by AG Peters)

Marr Rugby 1st XV scorers
Try: Richard Dalgleish
Penalty: Colin Sturgeon

Mackenzie Pearce

Player of the Match

Mackenzie Pearce

Key moments

Penalty Colin Sturgeon kicks a penalty for Marr RFC
Try Richard Dalgleish scores for Marr RFC

Videos and photos


View 0 new events
80:00 Player of the Match
Mackenzie Pearce is awarded player of the match for Marr RFC
78:00 Try 0 - 8
Richard Dalgleish scores for Marr RFC
51:00 Red Card
Fraser Grant is sent off for Marr RFC
50:00 Yellow Card
Fraser Grant is yellow carded for Marr RFC
End of period 1
30:00 Yellow Card
Fraser Grant is yellow carded for Marr RFC
20:00 Penalty 0 - 3
Colin Sturgeon kicks a penalty for Marr RFC
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Marr RFC
  • 0
  • Colin Sturgeon Penalty 20:00'
  • Fraser Grant Yellow Card 30:00'
  • Fraser Grant Yellow Card 50:00'
  • Fraser Grant Red Card 51:00'
  • Richard Dalgleish Try 78:00'

Team selection

McLoughlin, Liam McLoughlin, Liam
Dalgleish, Richard Dalgleish, Richard
Paxton, Gregor Paxton, Gregor
Bickerstaff, Conor Bickerstaff, Conor
Scott, Jack Scott, Jack
Sturgeon, Colin Sturgeon, Colin
Hazel, Findlay Hazel, Findlay
Miller, Ross Miller, Ross
Law, Dan Law, Dan
Pearce, Mackenzie Pearce, Mackenzie
Grant, Fraser Grant, Fraser
Bulger, Ewan Bulger, Ewan
Henderson, Calvin Henderson, Calvin
Rossi, Ollie Rossi, Ollie
Farquhar, William Farquhar, William

League round up

Other Tennent's National League Division 1 results

Gala RFC
Aberdeen Grammar Rugby
Hamilton Rugby Club
Kelso RFC
Cartha Queens Park RFC
Kirkcaldy RFC
Musselburgh RFC
Selkirk RFC
Jed-Forest RFC


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Marr RFC 22 74
2. Selkirk RFC 2 6
3. Jed-Forest RFC 2 4
4. Gala RFC 2 4
5. GHA RFC 2 0
6. Musselburgh RFC 2 0
7. Aberdeen Grammar Rugby 2 0

Team sponsors


Club sponsors