Marr Rugby round-up:  Borders hoodoo finally exorcised by the 1s while 2s and 3s find going tough but deliver promise for the future

Marr Rugby round-up: Borders hoodoo finally exorcised by the 1s while 2s and 3s find going tough but deliver promise for the future

By Kevin Quinn
13th January
Share via

Marr Rugby round-up

Marr Rugby round-up: Borders hoodoo finally exorcised by the 1s while 2s and 3s find going tough but deliver promise for the future

Marr Rugby senior results

Tennent’s NL1: Kelso RFC 9 - Marr Rugby 36
Tennent’s National Reserve League 1: Marr Rugby 0 – Heriot’s FC 59
Tennent’s West Reserve League 1: Allan Glen’s RFC 2’s 41 – Marr Rugby 7

SEE 1st XV match highlights HERE

A busy day of rugby action for Marr started well as a reshaped College 1st XV delivered a comprehensive win against Ayr/Wellington beating them 33 – 7. With nine of the U18s squad unavailable as they had been called up to support the seniors lead coach Gregor Ness took the opportunity to field a squad with one eye on forthcoming fixtures and the other on next season.

The first half was an impressive display of pressure, possession and territory as Marr pinned Ayr down in their half. Only some desperate defence and some over ambitious play restricted the scoring and at half time Marr led 7-0. In the second half Ayr opened the scoring with a converted try but Marr immediately responded through two quick tries as they exerted a real grip on the match. They added two more to close out the game and remain unbeaten against Ayr for the full season.

It was a clean sweep as Marr College sides from S1 up claimed wins against Ayr/Wellington.

See match report here

In the afternoon all three of Marr Rugby’s senior teams were in action.

The 1s had another long trek to play in the Borders where so far this season their efforts had brought scant reward and no wins from of their previous three outings against the other NL1 Borders sides. Changes to the squad saw Callum Steel start in the back row and Andrew Mill added to the bench.

About forty Marr supporters travelled to Poynder Park and along with the players, coaches and backroom team they enjoyed Marr’s first win of the season in Borders country. However it wasn’t all plain sailing as Kelso, especially in the first half, put up a resolute defence and also had a real go at attacking Marr. Deservedly they led 9 – 3 as half time approached and it took a magical moment for Marr to open the scoring with a converted try. In the second half Marr were able to exercise more dominance and convert pressure into points.

See match photos courtesy of Gavin Horsburgh here

Match Report - by Stephen Allam

Kelso versus Marr Rugby
Poynder Park Saturday 12th January

Marr 1st XV travelled to the borders for the fourth time this season, well aware that they had lost their last three matches in this region, the only matches in Tennent’s National Division 1 where they had tasted defeat.

Marr knew that they were going to face a stern test against a Kelso side that had recovered from their poor start to the season, however, had won their last five home matches, some of these matches against teams that were at the top of the league.

The match kicked off with the wind advantage strongly in the home sides favour. It did not take long for Kelso to secure their first penalty some 30 metres out, for Marr being offside at a ruck. Craig Dods duly converted giving Kelso the initial lead.

Marr soon equalised when Kelso were caught offside with Colin Sturgeon stepping up to equalise from close range.

Kelso then took the initiative to Marr and piled on good sustained pressure that resulted in the Marr’s defence again getting caught offside with Dods converting again to give Kelso the deserved lead.

For the next 20 minutes Kelso completely dominated Marr with many attacks well into the Marr 22m line. Kelso would off scored from a drive 5 metres out, however some strong defensive tackling from Marr resulted in Kelso knocking on.

As the first half drew to a close Kelso mounted another attack. The Kelso forwards growing in confidence powered forward with Marr’s strong defence getting stretched more and more, passed the ball out the their three quarter line and with a sudden switch move it looked like they were going to score the first try of the match. However as the Kelso centre saw the line within in reach and traveling at full pace, could not avoid Oli Rossi who stopped him dead in his tracks. This tackle got a well-deserved gasp from the large home crowd and a loud round of applause from the Marr travelling support.

Kelso did manage another penalty from their stand-off Dods, when Marr captain Conor Bickerstaff was judged to of committed a high tackle.

With one minute left before half time Callum Steel had to retire with an ankle knock and he was replaced by Josh Evans.

The half came to a close with Marr scoring their first try against the run of play. Ross Miller took a quick penalty and charged the Kelso line. The big Marr number 8 was stopped inches from scoring, however Marr managed to keep possession and after a further seven or eight phases drove over the line with Dan Law the eventual scorer.

Half time Kelso 9 Marr 10

The second half kicked off and immediately Kelso went on the attack. The ball was passed out to the right wing however this pass was anticipated by Conor Bicker staff who intercepted and ran 30 metres down the line. With imminent tackles approaching, Conor kicked the ball forward but was caught by a late tackle from a frantic Kelso defence. Marr full back Liam Mcloughlin kicked the resultant penalty right onto the Kelso 5 metre line.
Marr took the line out and won possession and their powerful pack managed to drive forward over the line with Fraser Grant emerging from the bottom of the pile up, to score Marr’s second try.

Marr were now starting to look dominant and the pressure on the Kelso pack stared to show when their prop forward received a yellow card for infringing at a 5 metre scrum.
With the Kelso pack now under strength Marr took full advantage from the penalty scrum with the Marr number 8 Ross Miller controlling the ball at his feet to score.

With Marr now dominant they looked to score the valuable bonus point try and it came five minutes later. Liam McLoughlin kicked a huge 60 metre punt right down the Kelso wing and from the resultant line out Marr scored their fourth try. It was a similar to all the previous Marr tries with the now dominant forwards driving over the Kelso line with Fraser Grant emerging again to be the Marr scorer. Surgeon duly converted keeping up his prefect kicking statistics.

With Kelso now demoralised Marr took full advantage. Conor Bickerstaff skilfully put in a huge cross kick aiming for his brother Scott. Scott managed to secure the ball, however the ball was ripped from his arms in a desperate last gasp tackle. The ball broke free over the line and first to pounce on the loss ball was Marr’s opposite winger Jack Scott who had sprinted from his own wing to score is his opposite corner.

This was the last score of the match and made the score Kelso 9 Marr 36.

The match was definitely a game of two halves, however Kelso are an excellent team that look good in possession and have a sturdy defence. However Marr showed great patience and their forwards eventually ground down the stubborn Kelso defence to gain 5 vital league points and maintain their position at the top of National league 1.

Coach Craig Redpath will be happy with this all round performance. The Marr forwards looked very good and our three quarters were simply excellent in defence

2nd XV summary
At Fullarton injuries and other unavailability to Marr Rugby’s 2nd XV squad saw nine U18 players called up from the College 1st XV. They faced a real challenge playing against the runaway league leaders whose string squad included at least six players who last season played in the Premiership matchers against Marr’s 1st XV.

Coaches Keith Dunsmuir and Gordon McMillan and a healthy crowd of almost 80 people saw Marr’s second string work their socks off for the full eighty minutes but come up short against a stronger and more experienced side. It took fifteen minutes for the visitors to open the scoring as Marr tackled furiously but eventually Heriot’s dominance, particularly in the set piece scrum meant they were able to capitalise on the space and possession. Marr came close to scoring on several occasions and deserved some reward for their effort. In the final quarter Heriot’s turned up the screw as fatigue set in and they added several scores to give the flattering final score line. On his debut 17 year old Jamie Drummond delivered a man of the match performance. While well beaten in the end Marr’s 2s were undefeated and the energy and commitment delivered gives promise for the future.

The 3s found the going tough away at Allan Glen’s. Man of the match Frank Watson scored Marr’s converted try.

Marr Rugby 1st XV man of the match – Conor Bickerstaff (sponsored by CCL Logistics)
Marr Rugby 1st XV scorers
Tries: Fraser Grant (2); Dan Law; Jack Scott and Ross Miller
Conversions: Colin Sturgeon (4)
Penalty; Colin Sturgeon

Marr Rugby 2nd XV man of the match – Jamie Drummond

Marr Rugby 3rd XV man of the match – Frank Watson

Marr Rugby next fixtures - Saturday 19/1/18 (watch Marr Rugby website for k.o. details)
1s – Home v Aberdeen
2s – Away v Watsonians
3s – Home v West of Scotland

Share via