Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marr Rugby app


Marr College U'16 - Match centre

Marr Rugby
Dunbar Grammar School
Tue 7 Nov 16:00 - Cup Full time

Marr U16s win a thriller against Dunbar


U16s one step away from Murrayfield

Marr U16s came from behind to defeat a plucky Dunbar team by 34 points to 25, The match started cagily with both teams testing the other out, Dunbar eventually scored first, when after a ruck infringement by Marr they slotted a penalty to go into the lead 3-0.

Play had been fairly even but Dunbar then took the advantage with two tries scored down their left wing. Neither were converted but they now had a cushion of 13 points. To their credit Marr came back at them and from a scrum near the Dunbar try line Scott Rodger picked up and drove over for Marr's first score. 13-5 to Dunbar.

Marr went on the attack again straight from the restart and after a number of penalties a quick tap by Beckwith found Scott McDonald in space and he went over for of an unconverted try and bring the score to 13-10. Shortly after the whistle blew for half time on what had been a frantic but thoroughly entertaining game of rugby.

The second half followed a similar format to the first with both teams enjoying periods with the ball. However it was Marr who would score first this half where a training ground backs move after ball won at a scrum allowed Ryan Brown to burst through. The try was converted by Beckwith giving Marr the lead for the first time by 17-13.

Straight from the kick off a kick downfield by Beckwith was gathered on the bounce by David Craig who charged towards the line only to be brought down by excellent Dunbar cover defence. However Thomas Miller had rushed to support and he was on hand to receive the pop pass from Craig and fell over the line to extend Marr's lead to 22-13.

It was Dunbar's turn to be the dominant team and after a number of phases went over for an unconverted try. They then scored again after moving the ball wide to their pacy winger who was able to run in under the posts. The straightforward conversion now gave Dunbar the lead by 25-22.

Marr responded well and kicked a penalty to the corner. An infringement by Dunbar allowed Beckwith to take a quick tap penalty and he dived over for a try and regain the lead for Marr by 27-25.

Dunbar pressed the Marr defence and earned a kickable penalty. However the effort went wide and Marr held on to their lead. A penalty against Dunbar allowed Marr to kick again to the corner. From the resultant lineout the Marr forwards drove the maul allowing Thomas Miller to break clear and score the decisive try. This was converted by Beckwith.

Shortly after the whistle blew for full time with Marr the victors by 34 points to 25. Both teams played their part in a thoroughly exciting and entertaining cup tie. There are no easy games at this stage of the tournament but Marr now travel to play Lasswade knowing that a win will see them through to the Scottish Schools Shield final at Murrayfield.

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – February: Henley Hawks RFC

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors