Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marr Rugby app


Marr College 1st XV - Match centre

Marr Rugby
Sat 9 Sep 10:00 - League Full time

Marr Under 18s v Carrick Academy

Marr win local derby

On a perfect morning for running rugby a healthy crowd turned up at the school playing fields to watch Marr Under 18s against their Ayrshire rivals, Carrick Academy.

From the off Marr exerted early pressure on Carrick which quickly led to a score for Alistair Pike in the corner. The conversion was missed by Nicholl leaving the score at 5-0 to Marr. Marr continued to put the squeeze on their opponents and after a strike against the head in a scrum moved the ball left for Pike to again score. 10-0 to Marr with the kick again unsuccessful.

Straight from the kick off good interplay by the forwards created space for centre O'Leary to score Marr's third try. This was converted by Nicholl to make the score 17-0 after ten minutes. Marr were playing at a high tempo and next, from a lineout steal the backs moved the ball quickly to Gibson who scored Marr's fourth. Nicholl was successful with the conversion which made the score 24-0.

Marr's lineout was functioning better than of late. First from ball off the top Lee Fraser burst through the despairing Carrick tackles and ran in from 45 metres and then shortly after the forwards drove caught ball close to the Carrick line before Ethan Reilly broke from the maul to go over. The second of these tries was converted which moved the score on to 36-0.

Marr's defensive line speed was giving Carrick no time and from stolen ball at a scrum flanker Kyle McCulloch palmed off the scrum half to score. Again the conversion was missed. On the stroke of half time Marr again disrupted Carrick ball and Rollo Press scored under the posts. The conversion was successful and Marr ended the half 48-0 to the good.

Marr made wholesale changes at half time but this did not stop the direction of the game. Ball was won in the lineout and moved quickly along the back line for Gibson to score his second. 53-0. A further lineout steal released Press and he ran in virtually unopposed from half way. The conversion was successful. 60-0.

Pike then went over shortly after to complete his hat trick and the final try went to Mackenzie Smith. The referee then blew early for full time with the final score 70-0 in Marr's favour.

The focus is now on the schools cup match on Tuesday when the U18s travel to play Biggar. A solid performance today but an extra level will be needed if we want to progress in the cup.

Quilter Kids First Skills Series: Crab Football

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors