Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Marr Rugby app


Marr Rugby round-up (6.10.18): 1s go top after 13 try seesaw thriller at Rubislaw while 3s blast Saints at Fullarton

By Kevin Quinn

Marr Rugby round-up

Marr Rugby round-up (6.10.18): 1s go top after 13 try seesaw thriller at Rubislaw while 3s blast Saints at Fullarton

Tennent’s NL1: Aberdeen Grammar Rugby 37 – Marr Rugby 47
Tennent’s West Reserve League 1: Marr Rugby 3s 70 – Dumfries Saints 2s 14

Marr Rugby’s 1st XV survived a real test from a resurgent Aberdeen Grammar side to grab another important bonus point win and with GHA slipping away against Kelso leapfrog move to top spot in NL1.

It was a real seesaw affair with the lead changing 12 times as both sides fought tooth and nail to find the edge and grab control. In effect they cancelled each other out as neither managed to gain significant advantage of more than a single score lead. It wasn’t until the closing stages before Marr managed to open up a two score advantage that they held on to in the face of determined final efforts from Grammar.

Meanwhile at Fullarton the 3s supplemented an understrength Dumfries 2s side with the loan of four players to allow the match to be played. Special mention and thanks go to Alistair Barclay, Paul Bray, Chris Helton and Jim McNiven for showing true rugby spirit and stepping up to make the temporary switch of colours.

See 1st XV match photos here

1ST XV MATCH REPORT (courtesy of Stephen Allam)



Marr survived a real tough test when they traveled the four hours north to face a rejuvenated Aberdeen Grammar, in a real seesaw affair, that saw the lead change hands an amazing twelve times.

Marr kicked off into a stiff breeze and were soon in the lead after some strong forward mauling allowing Mackenzie Pearce to drive over from close range.

Aberdeen bounced back immediately when Bryn Perrott scored a similar try to Marr’s opener when he touched down in the corner.

Five minutes later it was Marr on the score sheet again, after a good break from the midfield involving Dan Law and Findlay Hazel. After some quick recycling the ball was flung out wide, creating an overlap for Marr’s young winger Jack Scott to score in the corner.

Aberdeen replied form the kick off with another Bryn Perrot try after a well-placed kick through the Marr defence.

Marr were immediately put under more pressure when Aberdeen winger, Doug Russell scored in the corner after some well worked interplay with his fellow backs.

Aberdeen were then dealt a blow when the referee gave Aberdeen flanker Alex Dravitski a yellow card for continual infringements.

Marr took instant advantage after a loose ball was picked up 45 metres out when Richard Dalgleish burst through the Aberdeen midfield and weaved his way to score a tremendous try underneath the sticks.

The home side certainly not lacking confidence, and were soon on the attack again. After a scrum 15 metres out, the Aberdeen number 8 picked the ball up and headed down the blind side and after skillfully off-loading the ball to prop Calum Reddish to score in the corner.

Both teams were glad to hear the referee blow the half time whistle, as the game had been played at a simply unbelievable pace. Surely the second half couldn’t be the same?


The second half kicked off with Marr now having the advantage of the breeze behind them.

The Marr pack now applied some serious pressure with some dominant forward play that lead to another yellow card, this time for the Aberdeen lock Aaron Robertson, getting sinned binned for tackling too high. The resulting penalty was kicked into the corner and from the line out, Marr’s number 8 Ross Miller, drove over Aberdeen line for Marr to take the lead.

With Aberdeen still down to fourteen men they again crossed the Marr line after a careless pass was intercepted on the half way line by Aberdeen winger Sean Miller, giving himself an easy run in for Aberdeen yet again to take the lead.

It was now Marr’s turn to score and it did not take long for Ollie Rossi to score his first try of the match after some excellent driving play for Marr. It was no surprise when Aberdeen answered Marr’s try with one of their own, after a good off load allowed Andrew Peak to cross Marr’s line.

With the score now Aberdeen 37 Marr 33 with twenty minutes left on the clock there was still plenty of time to thrill the crowd.

Hooker Ollie Rossi scored again after another 5 metre line out was driven over by the strong Marr pack.

The last try [number 13!] came from big Ross Miller, after Marr played possession rugby for several minutes allow the number 8 to drive over from close range.

The final whistle came with great relief, with Marr coming out on top 47—37.

This match was simply breath taking, with thirteen tries and the lead changing twelve times. Both teams can hold their heads high as this was quite simply a magnificent game of rugby.

Marr's man of the match was Conor Bickerstaff for his continual line breaks and great leadership.

Marr Rugby 1st XV man of the match: Conor Bickerstaff (sponsored by CCL Logistics)

Marr Rugby 1st XV scorers
Tries: Mackenzie Pearce; Jack Scott; Richard Dalgleish; Ross Miller (2) and Ollie Rossi (2)
Conversions: Liam McLoughlin

Marr Rugby next fixtures – 13.10.18
1a – Away v Selkirk
2s – Home v Watsonians
3s – Home v Allan Glen’s

Updated 09:56 - 15 Oct 2018 by Kevin Quinn


Loading comments

Win a Maximuscle training session with Anthony Watson

Sun 28 Apr
Marr College U'15 GHK Rugby U15
Cup 27 – 27
Sat 20 Apr
1st XV Gala RFC
League 57 – 8

News sponsors


Club sponsors